Heidel House Resort & Spa is one of the few lodging properties in Wisconsin to be a participant in the Green Key Eco-Rating Program. Heidel House Resort & Spa achieved a 4 Green Key rating. Heidel House Resort & Spa is also a proud member of Travel Green Wisconsin since July 2007. This recognizes Heidel House as "a hotel that has shown national industry leadership and commitment to protecting the environment through wide ranging policies and practices. Programs that involve management, employees, guests and the public have shown substantial and measurable results."
Some of the green highlights and accomplishments of Heidel House Resort & Spa are:
- Chemical cleaners are being phased out and replaced with environmentally friendly alternatives.
- Meeting rooms are equipped with recycling bins.
- Energy Star higher efficiency appliances and/or equipment has been purchased.
- Higher efficiency light bulbs have been installed in guest rooms, public areas and back of the house areas.
- Water conserving equipment has been installed in guestrooms.
- Environmental committee is responsible for directing or coordinating environmental initiatives within the resort.
- Green Training and education of the resort staff
- Educate guests of our goals and objectives through our guest room directory, in room channel and flyers in the lobby.
- Donate to environmental organizations and initiatives.
- Donate barely used amenities to charities.
General Manager Scott Krause said, "Our goals at Heidel House are to reduce waste, improve energy efficiency and conserve natural resources. The Green Lake area and Heidel House Resort & Spa are surrounded by natural beauty and wildlife. It is up to us to make sure that these resources are here for years to come."
Resort guests can help to achieve these goals by:
- Reuse towels and linens
- Turn off lights when you're not in your room
- Set room at a moderate temperature
- Return brochures when you are done
- Use recycling bins whenever possible
Green Key Eco-Rating Program
The Green Key Eco-Rating Program is a graduated rating system designed to recognize hotels, motels and resorts that are committed to improving their environmental and fiscal performance. Based on the results of a comprehensive environmental self-assessment, hoteliers are awarded a 1-5 Green Key rating and provided with guidance on how to "unlock" opportunities to reduce environmental impacts and operating costs through reduced utility consumption, employee training and supply chain management. The program assesses the 5 main operational areas of a property: Corporate Environmental Management, Housekeeping, Food and Beverage Operations, Conference & Meeting Facilities and Engineering.
Travel Green Wisconsin
Sponsored by the Wisconsin Department of Tourism, Travel Green Wisconsin recognizes tourism-related businesses that are reducing their environmental impact through operational and other improvements. To achieve certification, businesses have to meet several goals including demonstration of how they encourage staff and vendors to be environmentally aware and how they reduce their solid waste generation and energy consumption.